Australian IPRS Scholarships
Course(s) Offered: Any field
Course Level: Postgraduate (masters, PhD)
Provider: Australian Government
Country to Study in: Australia
The International Postgraduate Research Scholarship (IPRS) is funded by the Australian Government and awarded to international students wishing to undertake graduate research degree studies at the University of Melbourne.
To be considered for the IPRS, you must:
- be an international applicant (ie. a citizen of a country other than Australia or New Zealand, and not an Australian permanent resident) and meet international student visa requirements;
- have completed tertiary studies that are at least equivalent to a 4-year honours degree at an Australian university with a minimum result of first class honours;
- have applied for admission to undertake masters by research or doctorate by research degree at the University of Melbourne;
- not be enrolled in the course for which you seek scholarship;
- have not already completed a research qualification at the same or higher level as the course for which a scholarship is sought.
IPRS are awarded on the basis of academic merit. Eligible applicants are scored and ranked according to their:
- academic achievement in their last completed degree; and
- research potential in their field of study, taking into consideration factors relevant to the proposed research including professional experience, refereed publications, specialist medical qualifications or composition of original music.
Citizens of ALL countries (other than Australia and New Zealand who are not Australian permanent residents.)
University of Melbourne in Australia.
Fields of study
Any of the approved graduate research degree courses offered at University of Melbourne.
Number of awards
Each year the University of Melbourne offers about 35 new IPRS scholarship awards
The duration of the IPRS Scholarship is up to two years for a student undertaking a master by research degree and up to three years, with two possible six month extensions, for students undertaking a doctorate by research degree.
The IPRS provides for:
- Full cost of tuition
- Overseas Student Health Cover for you and your dependants, if they join you in Australia on a student visa
In addition, successful candidates receive an Australian Postgraduate Award (APA) which provides the following benefits:
- A fortnightly living allowance
- Relocation grant for students moving to Melbourne from interstate or from outside Australia
- Thesis allowance
- Limited paid sick, maternity and parenting leave
For complete details of all the benefits of this award, please see the official website (link to it is below).
Method of Application
You must submit an application for admission and scholarship using the Application for Admission to Graduate Research Degree Candidature and Scholarship form found on the official website.
It is important to visit the official website (link to it is below) for complete information and also for important links to online application forms.
The University assesses applications for scholarships on an ongoing basis. For specific closing dates, please refer to the individual university faculties.
As a general rule, applications submitted before 31 October (Round 1) will be finalised by 15 February of the following year, and applications submitted before 31 May (Round 2) will be finalised by 31 July.
The following faculties have more than two rounds: Engineering; and Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences. Please visit individual faculties.
The University of Melbourne (informally Melbourne University or simply Melbourne) is an Australian public research university located in Melbourne, Victoria. Founded in 1853, it is Australia’s second oldest university and the oldest in Victoria.
Times Higher Education ranks Melbourne as 33rd in the world, while the QS World University Rankings places Melbourne 31st in the world. According to QS World University Subject Rankings 2015, the University of Melbourne is ranked 5th in the world for Education, 8th in Law, 13th in Computer Science & IT, 13th in Arts and Humanities, 14th in Dentistry and 18th in Medicine.
Application Deadline: Rolling (but note 31 May / 31 October)
Open to International Applicants: Yes