Melbourne Research Scholarships (MRS)
Course(s) Offered: Several fields
Course Level: Graduate (masters, PhD)
Provider: University of Melbourne
Country to Study in: Australia
The Melbourne Research Scholarship (MRS) was established by the University of Melbourne and is awarded to high achieving domestic and international research students.
The University awards over 300 scholarships per year.
Graduate research scholarships administered by Scholarships & Bursaries (University Services) are subject to the Graduate Research Scholarships Terms & Condition. Eligible applicants are invited to apply to the Melbourne Research Scholarships to undertake graduate research degree studies under these terms and conditions.
To be considered for the Melbourne Research Scholarship, you must:
- have applied for and meet the entry requirements for a Master or Doctorate by research degree at the University of Melbourne, or be currently enrolled in a research degree at the University of Melbourne and have at least 12 months (full-time equivalent) of candidature remaining, and
- have not already completed a research qualification at the same or higher level as the course for which a scholarship is sought.
Melbourne Research Scholarships are awarded on the basis of academic merit. Eligibleapplicants are scored and ranked according to their academic achievement of their last completed degree and their research potential in their field of study. Factors such as relevant professional experience, refereed publications, specialist medicalqualifications or composition of original music may be taken into consideration.
Citizens of ALL countries (including Australians)
University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Victoria; Australia
Fields of study
Eligible fields and faculties include:
- Faculty of Business & Economics
- Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry & Health Sciences
- Faculty of Science
- Faculty of Veterinary Science
- Graduate School of Humanities & Social Sciences
- Melbourne Conservatorium of Music
- Melbourne Graduate School of Education
- Melbourne Law School
- Melbourne School of Design
- Melbourne School of Engineering
- Melbourne School of Information
- Victorian College of the Arts
Number of awards
More than 300 scholarships are awarded per year
The duration of the Melbourne Research Scholarship is two years for students undertaking a Master by research degree and three years, with a possible six month extension, for students undertaking a Doctorate by research degree.
The benefits of the Melbourne Research Scholarship vary depending on your circumstance and may include one or more of the following:
- A fortnightly living allowance, a relocation allowance for students moving to Melbourne from interstate or from outside Australia, and limited paid sick, maternity and parenting leave equivalent to the Australian Postgraduate Awards benefits
- Full fee remission (international students only)
- Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) Single Membership (international students only)
Method of Application
You must apply for this scholarship by submitting an online application for the Graduate Research Scholarships group.
It is important to read the Graduate Research Scholarships Terms and Conditions, and also visit the official website (link to it is below) for complete information on applying to this scholarship award
The University assesses applications for scholarships on an ongoing basis. For specific closing dates, please refer to the specific faculty or school website. Dates will vary depending on your field of interest
The University of Melbourne (informally Melbourne University, Melbourne Uni or simply Melbourne) is an Australian public research university located in Melbourne, Victoria. Founded in 1853, it is Australia’s second oldest university and the oldest in Victoria. Times Higher Education ranks Melbourne as 33rd in the world, while the Academic Ranking of World Universities places Melbourne 44th in the world (both first in Australia).
Application Deadline: Varies/Ongoing
Open to International Applicants: Yes