International Postgraduate Research Scholarships (IPRS)
Course(s) Offered: Several disciplines
Course Level: Graduate (masters, PhD)
Provider: Australian Government
Country to Study in: Australia
The Adelaide Graduate Center of the University of Adelaide offers the International Postgraduate Research Scholarships (IPRS) for international students from around the world.
The International Postgraduate Research Scholarships (IPRS) are available in the first two scholarship rounds to outstanding international applicants from any country who have a First Class Honours result or equivalent, to support their study towards a Higher Degree by Research in areas of University research strength.
The IPRS scheme is funded by the Commonwealth Government through the Department of Education, Employment & Workplace Relations (DEEWR). Its purpose is to attract high quality overseas postgraduate students to areas of research strength in higher education institutions to support Australia’s research effort.
CONDITIONS AND ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA:
- In order to be eligible applicants are required to have successfully completed at least the equivalent of an Australian First Class Honours degree (this is a four year degree with a major research project in the final year). All qualifying programs of study must be successfully completed.
- Scholarships will be awarded on academic merit and research potential. Extra-curricular achievements are not considered.
- International applicants must not hold a research qualification regarded by the University of Adelaide to be equivalent to an Australian Research Doctorate degree or, if undertaking a Research Masters degree, not hold a research qualification regarded by the University of Adelaide to be equivalent to or higher than an Australian Research Masters degree.
- International applicants who have not provided evidence of their meeting the minimum English language proficiency requirements for direct entry by the scholarship closing date, or who have completed a Pre-Enrolment English Program to meet the entry requirements for the intended program of study, are not eligible.
- Citizens and Permanent Residents of Australia, and citizens of New Zealand are ineligible.
- Candidates are required to enrol in the University of Adelaide as ‘international students’ and must maintain ‘international student‘ status for the duration of their enrolment in the University.
- International applicants are not eligible if they have already commenced the degree for which they are seeking an award, unless they can establish that they were unable to apply in the previous round.
Please see the official website for complete conditions and eligibility
Citizens of ALL countries (EXCEPT Australia and New Zealand)
The University of Adelaide, Adelaide; Australia
Fields of study
IPRS scholarships can only be awarded to applicants applying to study in an area of university research strength like Agriculture, Environment, Mineral and Energy Resources, Social Innovation, Health and Biomedical Sciences, Sensing and computation, and Fundamental Disciplines
Number of awards
Not specified (approximately 15 scholarships were available in 2015)
The IPRS provides course tuition fees for two years for a Masters degree by Research and three years for a Doctoral research degree (an extension is possible for doctoral programs only)
The IPRS provides course tuition fees for both Masters and Doctoral research degree programs. All successful IPRS applicants will also receive an Australian Postgraduate Award (APA) which provides an annual living allowance of $26,288 in 2016 for the normal duration of the program.
For Postgraduate Research (Subclass 574) visa holders the award provides compulsory standard Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) Worldcare policy for the student and their spouse and dependents (if any) for the standard duration of the student visa. It does not cover the additional 6 month extended student visa period post thesis submission. If the award holder does not hold a subclass 574 visa then he/she is responsible for the cost of health insurance.
Note that the scholarship does not cover student visa application fees.
Method of Application
To apply please submit a formal application for Admission and a Scholarship via the online application system. There is no application fee. It is strongly recommend that you submit your application with all the required documentation well before the deadline because applications that are incomplete by the scholarship application deadline will not be considered for a scholarship in that round.
It is important to visit the the official website (link to it is below) for complete information on this scholarship program and also to start your scholarship application..
There are three international scholarship application rounds, however, the IPRS is offered for the first 2 rounds only. For Round 1, 2017 (Semester 1, 2017 intake), the last day to apply to the IPRS is 31 August 2016. For Round 2, 2017 (Semester 1 or Semester 2, 2017 intake), the last day to apply is 31 January 2017.
Late and incomplete applications at the scholarship application deadline will not be considered for a scholarship.
The University of Adelaide is unable to provide an assessment of eligibility for candidature and/or a scholarship until a formal application is submitted and assessed. The university strongly recommends that all applicants submit their application and all required documents well before the closing date.
The University of Adelaide (colloquially Adelaide University or Adelaide Uni) is a public university in Adelaide, South Australia. Established in 1874, it is the third-oldest university in Australia. It is consistently ranked in the top 1% of universities worldwide.
Application Deadline: 31 August 2016 || 31 January 2017
Open to International students: Yes