Leiden University Excellence (LExS) Scholarships
Course(s) Offered: All fields
Course Level: Postgraduate (masters)
Provider: Leiden University
Country to Study in: Netherlands
Scholarship DescriptionThe Leiden University Excellence Scholarship programme (LExS) is offered for excellent non-European (non-EU/EEA) students enrolling in a Leiden University master’s degree programme.
Also, it is for excellent students from all nationalities enrolling in a Master of Law Advanced Programme or MSc in International Relations and Diplomacy.
The scholarship is for:
- Non-EU/EEA students enrolling in a Leiden University master’s degree programme starting September 2016 or February 2017 (All MA, MSc and LL.M programmes as mentioned on the website Master’s programmes in Leiden – see below).
- All nationalities enrolling in the programmes listed below starting September 2016 or February 2017.
- In his or her prior academic education abroad, the applicant must have achieved excellent study results which are relevant for the programme for which the student wishes to enroll. As an indication, the student will be among the top 10% for the relevant programme followed abroad
- The applicant will hold a non-EU/EEA passport and will not be eligible for support under the Dutch system of study grants and loans (“Studiefinanciering”; more information)
- Scholarships will not be awarded to applicants who have already obtained a Leiden University master’s degree
- Students who are granted a Leiden Excellence Scholarship must comply with and confirm in writing their agreement with the terms and conditions attached to the scholarship prior to the granting of the scholarship.
The Faculty selection committee will review the applications. Students are selected on the basis of academic merit.
Citizens of ALL countries (both non-EU/EEA and other nations)
Leiden University, The Netherlands
Fields of study
The courses offered under this program include:
- For Non EU/EEA students: All masters (MA, MSc and LL.M) programmes offered by Leiden University (a number of programmes have a start date in September only); and
- For All nationalities enrolling in September 2016 or February 2017 (programs listed below have a September start date only, with the exception of Adv. Studies in Air & Space Law):
- Master of Laws: Advanced Studies in Air & Space Law
- Master of Laws: Advanced Studies in European & International Business Law
- Master of Laws: Advanced Studies in International Tax Law
- Master of Laws: Advanced Studies in Public International Law
- Master of Laws: Advanced Studies in International Civil & Commercial Law
- Master of Laws: Advanced Studies in Law & Digital Technologies
- Master of Laws: Advanced Studies in European Tax Law
- Master of Laws: Advanced Studies in European & International Human Rights Law
- Master of Laws: Advanced Studies in International Children’s Rights
- MSc in International Relations & Diplomacy
Number of Awards
The number and type of award of the scholarship (see below under ‘Scholarship Benefits’) depends on the budget available for each Faculty department. The type of award has no reflection on the students’ academic level of excellence.
Scholarship will last for the whole duration of the masters programme. The maximum study period is 12 months for the 1-year masters programmes or 24 months for the 2-year masters programmes.
The Leiden University Excellence Scholarship programme has three awards:
- € 10.000 of the tuition fee
- € 15.000 of the tuition fee
- Total tuition fee minus the statutory tuition fee
Method of Application
The student is responsible for submitting a complete application on or before the deadline dates below. Leiden University cannot be held responsible for late and/or incomplete applications.
To apply for the scholarship, you should write a letter of motivation (in Word) of a maximum of 500 words, in which you indicate why you believe you should be considered for this scholarship. The Word document should then be attached on the scholarship page in your online application for the master’s programmes for which you are applying.
It is important to visit the official website (link to it is below) for complete information on how to apply to the LExS Scholarship Programme.
For course programmes starting September 2016, application deadline is 1 February 2016 (except for Law programmes which is 1 March 2016). For all courses starting February 2017, deadline is 1 October 2016.
Students should be aware that the LExS is not a full scholarship. It is necessary to find additional funding to be able to finance their study and stay completely.
All LExS applicants will be informed of outcome by mid-November 2015 for February 2016 intake, by end of April 2016 for September 2016 intake, and by mid-November 2016 for February 2017 intake.
Application Deadline: 1 March / 1 October 2016
Open to International Applicants: Yes